Thursday, November 8, 2018

SUGGEST & RECOMMEND verb patterns

Two Simple Rules for 'suggest' and 'recommend'

  • Make recommendations and suggestions to specific people, or to express opinions in general (which may be your opinions, or someone else's).
1.  When there are 2 subjects (2 different people, or publications) in the sentence, use this formula:
  • [subject 1 + recommend/suggest ] + (that)* + [subject 2] + verb in the BASE FORM** + complement] 
  • *that = optional...but you may want to insert it in order to remember that there is a secondary clause to formulate.
  • *the base form of the verb indicates the infinitive without 'to': for example, the base form of 'to go' would be 'go,' no matter what the subject. There is no congiuation of the verb. It always remains in the base form.
    • I suggest you learn a non-European language because it will really change the way you see the world.  
    • John's brother recommends that he eat at a restaurant called Picholine in New York City.  
    • They suggested that she go to the art library in Piazza Venezia because it is one of the best in Rome.  
2.  When there is only 1 subject mentioned before recommend/suggest, use the gerund form of the verb:  
  • [subject + recommend/suggest+ GERUND FORM OF THE VERB* + complement]
  • *the GERUND always remains in the gerund form
  • recommend/suggest may be congiugated into any verb tense
    • I recommend reading and listening a lot in English to help you remember verb patterns.
    • My favorite high school teacher always suggested going to Shakespeare plays.
    • Jane recommends seeing the Villa Borghese first in Rome.
    • The City Guide suggested starting an art tour at the Galleria Borghese. 

Practice: Put the verb in the correct form: the BASE FORM of the verb, or the GERUND, depending on the number of subjects in it. Remember, a subject is a person, place, or thing and comes before a verb in English. 
 A)
1. Joe's mom recommended we ________ (buy) him a new skateborad for his birthday.
2. The Lonley Planet guide always suggests _________ (sleep) at cheap hotels in order to save money.
3. Would you suggest I _________ (study) abraod?  Do you think it will help my future career?
4. I'd like to recommend you _________ (take) a trip to New York City. 
5. May I suggest he ___________ (call) later, say, in  about two hours?  The manager is busy now.
6. To improve public singing, Joan recommends ___________ (going) to a Karaoke bar. 
7. My mother has always suggested that I __________ (have ) a good singing voice. 
8.  The doctor recommended ___________(take) vitamin C every day in the winter.
9. When it rains a lot in Rome, Romans suggest you  ___________   (stay) home, if possible.
10. What would you recommend I _____ (do)?
 B)  Conversation:  make recommendations and suggestions for each other. Use the correct form of the verb.  Give your honest opinions.  Switch roles after 3 questions.

1.  I have to review my English grammar. Could you recommend a website?  (azargrammar.com for its Power Point presentations)
2.  My brother is going to study abraod next year in Rotterdam at the university where they have a program all in English. The thing is, though, that his English is only at a B2 level. Could you suggest how he could prepare?
3.  I'm going to New York City over the winter holidays and want to interview for some jobs. Could you recommend some ways I could prepare?
4.  My sister is coming to visit me in Rome for the first time. What would  you suggest she see?
5. Could you suggest some good Italian restaurants in Rome? Where should we go?
6. I'd like to learn how to surf. Do you have any recommendations of where I could start learning how to do this sport?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Power Point Presentation - Writing Tools

Here is a sample Power Point presentaion that I've done up, and which you may use as a guide for the quantity of words to put on a sl...